1. Is it normal for the laptop power adapter to be very hot?
Many friends have laptops. In the process of use, due to the poor battery life of the laptop, it is generally used by plugging in the power supply. However, the power adapter of the laptop will be very hot when used for a long time. This situation is normal. What’s the reason for the hotness?
It is normal for the laptop power adapter to get hot, because the laptop power adapter is a switching power adapter. Its function is to convert 220v AC mains power into low-voltage DC power to provide stable power for the normal operation of the laptop. It is working. In the process, since the conversion efficiency of the power adapter is only about 75%-85%, part of the energy is lost during voltage conversion, and this part of the energy is usually emitted in the form of heat, causing the power adapter to become hot.
Secondly, because the inside of the notebook power adapter is a switching power supply that works under high voltage and high current conditions, the workload is relatively heavy, and it is a fully enclosed structure. There is no cooling hole on the shell and no internal fan to assist heat dissipation. Therefore, the notebook The internal temperature of the power adapter is very high when it is working.
But don’t worry, the power adapters on the market are all sealed with fire-resistant and high-temperature resistant plastics. The heat generated inside is mainly dissipated through the conduction of the plastic shell, and there is usually no danger of explosion.
2. What to do if the laptop adapter is hot
The heating of the notebook power adapter is inevitable, but we can prevent its temperature from rising continuously through some methods:
(1) Choose switching components with low voltage drop and low loss, and the heat dissipation area should be as large as possible. The power adapter above 100W should generally have a metal perforated shell, or add a cooling fan.
(2) Try to put the power adapter in a place with good ventilation and heat dissipation. Do not press books and other things on the power adapter to prevent heat dissipation.
(3) When using the notebook in summer or in a high temperature environment, the notebook power adapter should be placed in a place that is not exposed to direct sunlight and is well ventilated.
(4) Put the adapter on its side to reduce the contact with the ground area, so that the adapter can better dissipate the heat and have a heat dissipation effect.
(5) Padded a narrow plastic block or metal block between the adapter and the desktop to speed up the heat dissipation of the power adapter.
(6) Do not put the power adapter near the heat dissipation vent of the notebook, otherwise not only the heat of the power adapter will not be dissipated, but also some heat will be absorbed.